Clicking a link below will open a tutorial in a new window. When you have finished looking at a tutorial, close its window to return to the main menu.
Elementary computer concepts
- Slide show introducing computers
- Presents elementary concepts of how computers work and what the essential components such as the CPU, RAM, and the hard drive are. Briefly describes the concept of an operating system and what the file system is.
- A survey of some of the keys on a PC keyboard
- A tutorial in Macromedia Flash 6 format showing some of the different keys on a PC keyboard.
- A guide to clicking the mouse in Windows
- Single-click, double-click, left-click, right-click; it can be confusing for someone new to using a mouse. How to know which one of these operations applies is explained.
- Mouse Tutorial and Exercises
Elements of Windows
- Slide show introducing the file system
- Describes the basic concepts of how information is stored in files and folders. Introduces the idea of different types of file formats requiring different software
- Elementary Windows menu operations
- An interactive Flash tutorial for practicing very basic operations with the standard Windows menus "File" and " Edit"
- Using the Task Pane to copy a file
- Folders in Windows XP contain a handy area called the "Task Pane", where various file and folder operations can be carried out. This Flash demonstration shows how to copy a file.
- Using the Task Pane to move a file
- Another Flash presentation, this time showing how to move a file in Windows XP
- Copying multiple files
- Continuing the Flash presentations on simple file operations in Windows XP
- Tutorial on selecting text for copying or editing
- A Macromedia Flash presentation on how to use the mouse to select or highlight text designated for copying to another document window or for editing purposes. This non-interactive presentation has occasional sound.